Monday, June 29, 2009

My Experiences with the Older Generations and their Nutrition and Health

After reading "Health in the Later Years," by Armeda and Rebecca Ferrini, I found a few points that I find arguable (by my experiences with the elder generation). The most noted one was saying that older people are more likely to try new foods. I also wanted to mention the differences in quality of life between my great grandparents and my grandparents.
I have mentioned in a previous blog that older people are stubborn and when it comes to food that is an even more valid statement. I have grand parents of many different cultures and back grounds, and they are all stubborn about one thing, food. I have one grandmother who was raised on fried chicken and extremely starchy sides,and that is something she is not willing to let go of. She is in tip top condition when it comes to health, but she stuck on American Southern food. She doesn't budge when it comes to trying food of other cultures like Asian or Spanish cuisines. My grand parents on the other side of the family were raised on farms, so their delicacies consist of strict vegetables and fresh meats. My grandmother often makes her sauces, jams, and condiments (yes, my grandmother makes her own ketchup). It is odd, but often she will not eat out, or only eat selected items. My grandfather is the same way. He will not eat anything but grilled chicken and barbaqued meat. I think it is funny when we go to a seafood resturant and they order grilled chicken and vegetables. They too will not eat food of many other countries, except for fresh Spanish foods of course. I know they are the only elders that I am using as an example, but they come from extremely different back grounds and have seen it alot in the older generations.
Another important point I thought to touch on, is the quality of life in older generations. I think that people who were brought up on farms and more natural nutrition live a more fulfilling quality of life. My great grandmother wouldn't eat anything she couldn't/didn't grow. She had a farm complete with cattle, chicken, pigs, and an entire vegetable farm. She was totally dependent on what she raised. She monitored what her livestock ate and therefore knew EVERYTHING she was eating. I can understand why my generation is reverting back to the "go green" movement, our great grandparents and even grand parents are living more fulfilling and happier lives. Doctors and medicines, back in the day, were used as a last result, like medicine. My great grandmother took no medicines and died peacefully of natural causes when she was 97 years old. My grandparents now, who live a stress free life, not to often tainted by modern medicine or now almost 80 years of age, and get around like teenagers, they are dependent on no one for anything. My grand father, who east like my great grandmother, still runs a fully functioning mechanic shop that he manages, yet can do everything that his younger employees can do. I just hope that changing my lifestyle to be more like theirs in my 20s while help me live a more fulfilling quality of life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment